FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Register Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

Guitar MultiFX Pedals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrben
New round here

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Guitar MultiFX Pedals Reply with quote

Three questions, really:

1. Any recommendations for a cheap, first-time multi-FX pedal? I'm currently looking at the Korg AX10G and the Zoom G2.1U.

2. Given the improvement in quality (I gather) are MultiFX pedals generally good value compared to buying a big range of individual pedals?

3. The Zoom G2.1U has a USB port - anybody tried running one through Linux and/or Jokosher?

'Carpe Aptenodytes'
JediMoose.org
eric71

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used the pedal, but I have a Zoom amp that has the modeling and effects built in. It's quite useful and I certainly can't complain about the tones or quality. A lot really geared for metal in the presets (I play in a blues rock band, but I grew up on metal and still enjoy dialling up some nasty distortion). I think the G2 series is a step up from this too, so probably even better.

I don't know the Korg, but another idea is some sort of Behringer product. They usually have a good sound and quality to cost ratio. Maybe something like this:

http://www.behringer.com/X-V-AMP/index.cfm?lang=ENG
mrben
New round here

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a partial answer to question 3 at this page: http://rzr.online.fr/wiki.php?TI

Apparently it's supported under ALSA. I'll have to see what I can get to work under Jokosher once I get it Smile

'Carpe Aptenodytes'
JediMoose.org
steevc
New round here

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrben wrote:
I found a partial answer to question 3 at this page: http://rzr.online.fr/wiki.php?TI

Apparently it's supported under ALSA. I'll have to see what I can get to work under Jokosher once I get it Smile

Did you get the Zoom? If so, does it work over USB?

I have an old Korg Pandora that has some amplifier simulation, but I would expect the technology to have improved since it came out. Besides which, if you can feed the digital signal directly to the PC then noise should not be such a big issue.

The rzr site is a bit confusing. I assume he makes notes for his own benefit that he will understand.
Gordan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) AFAIK the Zoom G2.1U is a really really good deal for the price (it's a multi-fx AND a soundcard).

2) Well, you can't compare a multifx that cost around 130$ with, well, boss stomp that costs 90$ each... but if you're not playng through a 100w head or if you need a good solution for home recording just get the Zoom.

3) Don't know sorry, but i think it sould work Razz
steevc
New round here

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general guitar effects question, when I run my Pandora into my line-in the signal level looks pretty low in Jokosher. Only around 25-30% of what it could be. I can appreciate that a guitar amp is not expecting a massive signal. Should I run my signal through some sort of pre-amp before it gets to the PC? I have a basic mixer that would probably do the job, but may add noise as it's not too brilliant.

At some stage I'm thinking of getting a better mixer, maybe one of the Mackie Tapco models, as I want to do some acoustic recording. I'm thinking of getting a reasonable mic that I will run via the mixer. The Shure SM57/58 seem to be the ones to get.

I just want to do some basic recording of my guitar, my daughter's violin and maybe some vocals. This is just for fun, so I'm not looking so spend a fortune.
steevc
New round here

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I last posted on this thread. Since then I got hold of a basic DJ-type mixer that lets me sort out my signal levels. It's also convenient for switching between sources. Unfortunately Ubuntu Gutsy broke my audio recording ability and I've not managed to fix it. I found out that I can record in Audacity if I select OSS rather than ALSA, but that is not ideal.

For the longer term I'm looking again at what hardware I could get to do the recording I want. An attractive gadget is the Zoom H4. It can do mobile recording and multi-track, but also work as a USB interface. So for 200 you get an interface with a pair of reasonable microphones and the ability to record gigs etc. It even has guitar/bass effects built in. For a bit less there is the H2 that lacks the effects and a few other features.

Unfortunately I start the year with no money for gear Sad
marcagio

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: ZOOM G2.1u is from my point of view a NO GO! Reply with quote

I owned the ZOOM GFX guitar pedals... 707, 707II and G2.iU...
THEY ALL ROCK but they all break after a VERY SHORT period of time, and that totally SUX

so i'll never buy one again Wink
seraulu1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: ''cutie 28'' Reply with quote

Thanks for that! learn hypnosis
Post new topic       Jokosher Community Forums Forum Index -> Gear Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: